Sunday, September 6, 2009

Weekend in the Red Light District

So our first weekend after AID was over, two girls that were in my group and I decided to take a weekend trip to the legendary Amsterdam! I was so stoked...but kinda nervous about staying at a hostel. I had only heard stories about hostels, so I had NO idea what to expect. We (and by 'we' I mean Hanna) reserved a room at a local hostel ahead of time that was at a great location so that we could walk everywhere!


We left early Saturday morning in a car of a friend that we met earlier during AID. He works in Amsterdam so he said he was already going there, so he offered to give the three of us a ride and show us around a bit until he had to head to work. The ride there was great! When I took the train from Amsterdam to Wageningen the first day I arrived, I was SO tired that I passed out in the train and never got to see the landscape or any surroundings. So, while on the car ride there, I got to see many pastures of cows and windmills (so very Dutch!) haha! 


Amsterdam is an absolutely beautiful city!! It was so busy and so much to see! We actually went there the weekend of the festival called Uitmarkt, which celebrates the end of summer and the beginning of their upcoming cultural calendar. There were bands playing all over and large crowds of people (but I think the crowds are very typical in Amsterdam). We watched one of the orchestras perform and they were so good (picture shown below). 


Our eating and drinking experiences were great! I think while we were there Hanna, Emelie, and I went to at least four cafes! And sorry to report...but I am STILL not a coffee-drinker. I just prefer hot cocoa, but I am starting to drink tea more. So, that is a small step! Each cafe was so different from the next. I really enjoyed how open all of the cafes were and how you could sit inside or outside under the umbrellas! Eating was also fun while in Amsterdam...the first night there we went out for sushi (I had been cravinggg sushi and luckily Hanna and Emelie also both love sushi)! The next day for lunch we had the ultimate Italian meal (so very un-Dutch of us haha) and we went to a pizzeria. The food was sooo good...until Hanna found some unwanted hair in her pizza. But, the guy made her a fresh one and so all was forgiven haha!


The second day we were in Amsterdam, we rented a 'canal bike' to cruise around the canals and look at the city from a different, and lower, view! This was by far my FAVORITE part of Amsterdam (besides our lovely tour of the red light district, of course haha jk). But really...the canal ride was great. And it wasn't just a ride...we were in like a paddle boat. And I am horrible at reading maps, so good thing Emelie and Hanna understood them or else we probably would have just gone in circles! I have NO sense of direction...I figured once I started traveling that all of this wisdom would just sink in finally, but that is false. I took SO many pictures of the architecture and other boats and bikes that we saw from the canal ride. We passed this one boat that was enjoying wine and sandwiches and this lady started asking us if we wanted some! haha it was so funny...but everyone is just really that friendly!  


I wish I could say that we went to all of those art museums and the Anne Frank house and such, but we really had no time! Once you get to Amsterdam, you just feel so overwhelmed with the energy and the people watching and just plain walking around that we did not go to any museums. We did, however, walk about Vondelpark. This park is hugeee and beautiful and so busy! I felt so un-active being in the part since everyone there was running, speed walking, biking, roller blading, walking their dog, or something! We saw so many parents that would run alongside of their kid who was biking...impressive! By the time we had 'settled' into Amsterdam, it was already time for us to take the train back to Wageningen. No need to be sad for us though, we already have plans to go back to Amsterdam and do more of the intellectual side of Amsterdam! So...get pumped for that future blog entry! 


Traveling from Amsterdam to Wageningen is very simple. Just a one hour train ride and you are right in the middle of the city. Actually, on September 16th I will be going to Amsterdam again to see Uncle Curt and meet for dinner. Exciting! But, I think I am gonna go in a bit early (since I have NO classes on Wednesday) to buy a watch. I found a watch there on this trip to Amsterdam, but I did not purchase it because I still wanted to shop around. But, I have now made up my mind that that should be my Amsterdam souvenir...hopefully the parents will agree (?) !! Anddd...(just to make this purchase sound more convincing)...watches are very practical. 


Take a look at the pictures...Amsterdam was beautiful! 




the orchestra performing in the middle of a square for the festival
found a Bucs jersey in a secondhand shop
the canals and buildings were so beautiful
Hanna and I at Vondelpark in Amsterdam
the 'canal bike' that we rented
while on the canal bike...what a view and a beautiful day

5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I like a Amsterdam.
    I never go there but I only see in pictures.
    Thanks for sharing photos.
    Have a nice day.
    By:
    Manish.
    mail me : manish.parmar26@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle, I love all the pictures...especially the ones that you are in!!!hint hint
    Have a good dinner w/ Uncle Curt and keep writting!!!
    Love,
    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I JUST caught up and read all your blog passages...very funny. You can make me laugh out loud without actually talking to you...impressive! it sounds like you're having a great, adventure-filled time! can't wait to hear more :) skype date soon! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like alllll of the pictures!! amsterdam sounds great, but you have to do the nerdy stuff too! liking the blog! are you almost caught up?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well the way the Bucs are playing I bet that there will be a whole lot more shirts in secondhand stores:)

    ReplyDelete